home about me home tour consultations testimonials contact

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Random Act of Kindness #19

Okay, friends, it's time to bust out your cooking skills for today's RAK challenge. This may be easier for some than others. If you read this post, you'll recall that cooking is not one of my passions, but in the name of kindness, I'm willing to do it!

RAK Challenge #19: Prepare a meal for someone in need.


Take a second to think of a person in your life who needs a little break. It might be an expecting mom, a friend struggling with an illness or maybe just someone who seems overly stressed. It doesn't necessarily have to be someone with something major happening in their life. I don't have anything major going on and I'd welcome any meal that I didn't have to prepare! Just having that simple daily task off my plate would make me smile.

So, in hopes that you guys will embrace this challenge, I'm going to make it simple and give you the menu!

This is my go-to menu because it's not time-consuming yet it's still tasty.

Ham and Swiss Stromboli
Pin It

Taste of Home

  • Prep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
  • Yield: 6-8 Servings
153045

Ingredients

  • 1 tube (11 ounces) refrigerated crusty French loaf
  • 6 ounces thinly sliced deli ham
  • 6 green onions, sliced
  • 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
  • 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese

Directions

  • Unroll dough into a rectangle on a greased baking sheet. Place ham over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle with onions, bacon and cheese. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Pinch seam to seal and tuck ends under. Place seam side down on baking sheet.
  • With a sharp knife, cut several 1/4-in.-deep slits on top of loaf. Bake at 350° for 26-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly before slicing. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.

I've varied this recipe with numerous different ingredients. I often like to take two, one ham and one turkey. Green chilies are a great add-in with turkey.

My plan of attack: Prepare the stromboli and wrap it in foil. I typically deliver it uncooked and add a little note with cooking directions. This way my friends can pop it in the oven when they're ready or even freeze it for a later date. I purchase a bag of chips, a bag of salad then make a plate of cookies and/or brownies to make the meal complete.

At this point I hope you have your recipient in mind! Now it's off to the store you go. Just think about the joy you're about to spread in the life of another person...all because you took a little time to be kind! 

Other opportunities to be spread some love here, here and here!

7 comments:

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

What a great idea....to bring a meal to someone as a random act of kindness. My brother in law just brought something like this to our house over the weekend - his had pepperoni & cheese in it and lasted for about 1 minute. So good! Thanks for sharing this - I'll definitely make it!

Brooke @ Inside-Out Design said...

This looks so yummy! I would love it if someone brought me a meal like this!
I wanted to let you know I featured your amazing diamond wall treatment on my blog today. It is really something, and got me so inspired! :)

http://inside-outdesign.blogspot.com/2012/01/before-after-thursday.html

Piper said...

Yummm! This looks tasty! I actually made a BIG crock pot of Homemade veg soup last week so that I could take half to my friend that had surgery on her foot the prior week. Bless her heart, her husband is great and very helpful...BUT a cook HE is NOT, lol!! They had no idea and were sooo surprised when I showed up!! I left there feeling like I had actually made a difference..... she continued to thank me on facebook and by text throughout this week!! Hmm wonder if she is fishing for more! May just have to do that!! Thanks for sharing!!

pam {simple details} said...

Wow! I can't believe this is RAK #19, no excuse that you couldn't think of something nice to do with all of that inspiration! Looks easy and delish!

Diana @ Your Day Simplified said...

I love this post! I always think of making a meal for someone when they are sick or have a baby but I think I will do this for someone that isn't really in need! I can just imagine what they will think. It will be a glorious day! Thanks for the continued inspiration!

A room with a view said...

Another great RAK, Dana and I love to cook. Thx for sharing!

remove object from photo said...



Anybody who’s don’t know that how to use this Remove object from photo & Remove BG of Your Photo app but don’t worry we are added a tutorial video of this app when you see this video you are expert for use this app.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips